The City of Greenwood, IN

Welcome to the website for the City of Greenwood!


Where does the money from my bill go?
Stormwater revenue is used to address priority drainage and flooding problems in Greenwood, operate and maintain the existing system, and comply EPA and IDEM regulatory requirements.

How do I make a payment?
The best and most convenient way to make a payment is Automatic Bank Draft. Download the form here or call 317.865.8238 to request a copy. Mail or deliver your form with a voided check to:

Greenwood Stormwater
300 South Madison Ave.
Greenwood, IN 46142

What are other payment options?
Pay online using Greenwood’s Stormwater Payment Portal.

To pay by mail, send a check or money order to the city's lockbox at:

Greenwood Stormwater
PO Box 727
Indianapolis, IN 46206.

Stormwater bill payments cannot be combined with Sanitation bill payments. Please allow 5-7 days for payment processing in order to avoid later fees.

Why was the utility created?
Unmanaged stormwater carries pollution and can threaten bodies of water, recreational areas, drinking water, and the plants, people, and animals who depend on clean water. State and federal statutes, including the Clean Water Act, mandate stormwater management. In prior years, Greenwood has spent significant money in stormwater management from its general budget. It could no longer continue to do so without threatening vital services such as police, fire and street maintenance, and thus the Stormwater Utility was created in 2012.

Will the rate be billed to city property?
Yes. City, county, state and federal properties within the City of Greenwood are subject to the stormwater service charge. However, publicly owned roadways, runways and taxiways are not billed.

How is the billing rate calculated?
The rate is based on the amount of impervious surface area on each parcel or property. Impervious surfaces collect rainfall and cause runoff. Individual bills will be based on impervious surface area. Residential property owners pay a flat rate of $5 per month, while non-residential property owners pay a rate calculated based on the total area of impervious surface located on the property.

What is an Equivalent Residential Unit?
The Equivalent Residential Unit (ERU) is defined as the approximate average impervious surface area on a residential property. Greenwood measured a sample of randomly selected residential properties and determined the average ERU to be impervious surface area of 2,800 square feet. The ERU is considered the base billing unit and is used in the billing calculation for properties. The billing rate is $15.00 per ERU per quarter. All residential properties are assigned one (1) ERU. Non-residential properties are individually measured.

What is impervious surface?
Impervious surfaces consist of materials that water cannot easily penetrate and soak into the ground, such as concrete and paved surfaces, rooftops and compacted gravel, cause rainfall to collect and result in runoff rather than soaking into the ground. This runoff collects and causes increased water into Greenwood’s stormwater system.

Contact Stormwater Billing at 317.865-8238.